Have you ever wanted to learn how to forward a text message?
You might want to forward text messages for multiple reasons. For instance, it can be handy to have all of your SMS on multiple devices. In that way, you can answer or store the messages on any device without the need to carry them with you. Or – you may need to forward your text messages for business purposes.
Whatever the cause, in this guide, you’ll learn how to do it with as little hassle as possible.
- 1 How do I forward a text message to someone else using my personal mobile device?
- 2 Best text forwarding apps for general usage
- 3 Best SMS forwarding app for business
- 4 FAQ on forwarding text messages:
- 5 To recap: How to forward text messages
How do I forward a text message to someone else using my personal mobile device?
For the basic text forwarding needs from your personal phones, you have a few options on both iOS and Android devices.
How to forward a text message on an iPhone?
Here is how to forward a text message on iPhone:
- Make sure that you are signed in with the same Apple ID on both the iPhone you want to forward SMS from and all the iOS devices you want to forward the messages to.
- On the iPhone that you want to forward SMS from, navigate to Settings > Messages.
- Scroll to Text Message Forwarding and tap it.
- A menu will open with the devices that are signed in to the same ID.
- Choose which devices you want to allow to send and receive text messages from your iPhone by toggling the switch next to them. A verification code will appear on each device you select, and you should enter the code on your iPhone.
Bear in mind that your iPhone has to be connected to Wi-Fi and you have to remain signed in on all the other devices in order for this method to work.
If you want to forward older text messages on an iPhone, the procedure is as follows:
- Launch Messages.
- Find the text that you wish to forward.
- Touch and hold the message bubble.
- Tap “More”.
- Select the arrow that will appear at the bottom right of the screen – that’s the forward button – and choose a recipient.
- Hit “Send”.
Generally, this is the faster option for forwarding your messages, but there is also the Copy-Paste method:
- Launch Messages.
- Find the text you wish to forward and hold it.
- Tap “Copy”.
- Create a new message and select the recipient.
- Double-tap the text box and select “Paste”.
- Hit “Send”.
Automatically forward text messages on Android
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to forward a text message on Android:
- Open Messages.
- Find the SMS that you want to forward.
- Tap and hold the message bubble.
- Select the three dots that appear at the top right of your screen.
- Choose “Forward.”
- Select the recipient. The list of all of the contacts and numbers you have exchanged messages with will open. If you wish to forward the SMS to a new number, select “New message” at the bottom right of the list.
- Tap “Send.”
As with iPhones, you can also Copy-Paste the messages to forward them. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Messages and navigate to the text message you want to forward.
- Hold the message.
- Select the Copy button at the top right (it’s the one left to the recycle bin icon).
- Start a new chat or open an existing conversation with the person you want to forward the SMS to.
- Hold the text box and select “Paste”.
- Tap “Send.”
Best text forwarding apps for general usage
Do the methods described above seem a bit time-consuming?
Then you can set up automatic text message forwarding from one device to another by using SMS forwarding apps.
Good examples are PhoneLeash and SMS Forwarder for Android users, and BiteSMS for iOS devices.
These apps allow you to connect your primary phone with other devices and have the messages forwarded to all of them.
What’s more, these apps have additional functions apart from auto-forwarding received messages that can be useful.
For instance, PhoneLeash (the most advanced out of the three) allows you to forward WhatsApp messages and texts to email, as well as to reply from your email. SMS Forwarder has a handy scheduling feature that enables you to set the specific times (e.g., days of the week) when you want the messages forwarded. BiteSMS also allows for scheduling, as well as quick reply, message templates, and signatures.
Best SMS forwarding app for business
In case you are a business owner who wants to bring the company’s communication to the next level, there are some more advanced apps that have an SMS forwarding function.
With text forwarding apps for business, you get the desired efficiency because they can perform multiple operations at the same time and send bulk SMS messages to multiple recipients.
Let’s illustrate how such apps can be beneficial to you on the example of one of the most popular apps – TextMagic:
- You can create a distribution list with an unlimited number of people and forward text messages to them at once.
- The distribution lists can consist of both people’s numbers and email addresses.
- You can automatically convert emails to text messages and have them delivered to whomever you wish.
- Replies to your text messages will be sent to your email inbox. Then, you can reply from your email client or your TextMagic SMS chat.
- You get to choose the number the text messages will be forwarded from.
- It works with all the email apps and clients, such as Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, etc.
- It allows you to select what parts of an email should be forwarded as a text, too.
- You can also store texts in your online TextMagic account and send bulk SMS.
FAQ on forwarding text messages:
- How do I forward a text message to my email?
If you are wondering how to forward a text message to an email address, the answer is: It depends. To forward a text message for your personal use, you can manually do so by finding the message you want to be forwarded and entering your email address where you would normally enter a phone number. You need to have your phone data and MMS enabled. However, if you want to forward text messages to an email as a business, your best bet is an app that will do it automatically.
- How do you forward an email to a text message?
To forward an email to someone’s phone as a text message, you should open the email in question and select forward. In the “To” field, you should enter the phone number you wish to forward the email to, followed by a carrier extension of the network service provider. In the business scenario, where you want your emails forwarded as text messages in bulk and hassle-free, you’d be better off using a tool that does it for you, like TextMagic.
To recap: How to forward text messages
You can divert your incoming text messages and forward older SMS by using multiple methods, from built-in options to apps programmed to do it.
While there are manual solutions on both Android and iPhones, they are not efficient enough for businesses. They are recommended if forwarding text messages is something you’ll have to do once in a blue moon. But if you plan on doing it more frequently, there are apps like TextMagic that are a better alternative.